Current:Home > NewsIndexbit Exchange:Sudan fighting rages despite ceasefire calls as death toll climbs over 400 -Capitatum
Indexbit Exchange:Sudan fighting rages despite ceasefire calls as death toll climbs over 400
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:16:27
At least 413 people have Indexbit Exchangebeen killed in fighting in Sudan since violence broke out on April 15, according to the United Nations' World Health Organization, most of them civilians. One U.S. citizen is among those who've been killed, the State Department said Thursday, without providing further detail.
In his first statement since his disagreement with another commander engulfed Sudan in violence nearly a week ago, the head of the Sudanese Armed Forces, Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan, said Friday that he was committed to a "safe transition to civilian rule" for the east African country, the Associated Press reported. The comments appeared to be a bid for international support as the deadly fighting between his forces and those of his now-rival, Gen. Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, continued despite calls for a ceasefire to stop the bloodshed for the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr.
- 2 Sudan generals are at war with each other. Here's what to know.
Burhan and Dagalo, who commands Sudan's paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), had been allies, joining forces to topple long-time dictator Omar al-Bashir in 2019. But a recent dispute over how to consolidate their two forces turned them against one another, leading to the current bloodshed, which three ceasefire attempts have now failed to halt.
A Sudanese medical group said "several areas of Khartoum were bombed" overnight as people marked the holiday, and there was ongoing "shelling and clashes," according to the AP.
"Instead of waking up to the call to prayer, people in Khartoum again woke up to heavy fighting," Endre Stiansen, Norway's ambassador to Sudan said Thursday. "Can any hell be more horrible than this?"
The sudden eruption of warfare in the country has left many other nations scrambling to try and ensure the safety of their citizens there.
The U.S. was "moving forward to pre-position some military forces and capabilities nearby just for contingency purposes in case they would be needed for any kind of evacuation," National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said Thursday. He added that no decision had yet been made about evacuating U.S. personnel.
Meanwhile, civilians caught up in the fighting were continuing to try to flee to safety.
"There is no safe place anymore in Khartoum," 37-year-old baker Dallia Abdelmoniem told the AP. She said her family decided to flee the capital after a rocket came through their roof.
From a shelter outside the city, she said the road leading out of Khartoum was covered with dead bodies.
"Our number one priority is just to stay alive," Abdelmoniem said.
- In:
- War
- Africa
- Sudan
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (9)
Related
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- The Complicated Aftermath of Anne Heche's Death
- Police investigate shooting at Nashville library that left 2 people wounded
- Halle Berry Is Challenging Everything About Menopause and Wants You to Do the Same
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Will 'Red, White & Royal Blue' be your cup of tea?
- Will it be a recession or a soft landing? Pay attention to these indicators
- Grand jury indicts teen suspect on hate crime charge in O'Shae Sibley's Brooklyn stabbing death
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- What to stream this weekend: Gal Gadot, ‘Red, White & Royal Blue’ and ‘Only Murders in the Building’
Ranking
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Will 'Red, White & Royal Blue' be your cup of tea?
- Coach parent Tapestry and Versace owner Capri fashion a $8.5 billion merger
- How 1992 Dream Team shaped Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol and Tony Parker on way to Hall of Fame
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Dog finds woman in cornfield, 2 days after she disappeared in Michigan crash
- The Titans' Terrell Williams temporarily will be the NFL's 4th Black head coach
- 'Heart of Stone' review: Gal Gadot shoots but Netflix superspy thriller doesn't score
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
The Challenge Fans Will Love This Gift Guide as Much as T.J. Lavin Hates Quitters
Foundations seek to advance AI for good — and also protect the world from its threats
Over $1 million raised for family of California 8-year-old struck, paralyzed by stray bullet
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Iraq bans the word homosexual on all media platforms and offers an alternative
Alabama panel approves companies to grow, distribute medical marijuana
Atlantic hurricane season is now predicted to be above-normal this year, NOAA says